Facebook memories reminded us of that time in 2013 we made bacon maple cupcakes featuring bacon sugar sprinkles.
Recipe below because sharing is caring <3
Bacon maple cupcakes with candied bacon and bacon sprinkling sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup oil (I used an 50:50 olive oil:canola blend)
1/4 cup bacon fat
1/2 cup milk
1. To prepare the bacon - Cut your bacon into chunks about 1cmx2cm, put on an oven tray and cook for about 20 minutes at 150 degrees. Remove from the oven and carefully drain the liquid fat from the tray. Pour over 1/2cup maple syrup over the bacon, return to the oven and cook until crispy. Remove and set aside
2. In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda and sugar. In another bowl mix the milk, oil, fat and egg and about 1/4 of the chopped bacon.
3. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and mix in the liquid.
4. Line a muffin tray with wrappers and spoon 1/4 mix into each.
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 fan bake. Remove and cool
300g butter - very soft
3 egg whites
150g brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Mix the egg whites and sugar in a bowl and whisk over a bain marie until warm and the sugar is dissolved.
2. Transfer to a stand mixer and whisk until stiff peaks and cool
3. Add the butter in chunks and beat until all combined. Add the maple syrup.
4. Pipe onto cupcakes, top with drizzles of maple syrup and slices of bacon. Sprinkle with bacon powder.
- To make the bacon powder put 1/4 of the crispy bacon into a blender and pulse until a fine powder is made! -