Thank you to those who stopped by #StarrettLehigh ’s third annual Taste of Something Local! Special #ShoutOut to our #WestChelsea vendors: @betweenthebread, @cambriachelsea, @fryingpannyc, @godiva, @greenpiratejuice, @hotelamericano, and @porchlightbar! Don’t forget to post on social media with the hashtag #LocalStarrett for a chance to win a $50 giftcard to a vendor of your choosing! Winner announced on #Friday ! Which was your favorite #local#food or #beverage ?
Architecture of General Theological Seminary - In 1878, Eugene Augustus Hoffman - said to be the richest clergyman in the world due to his extensive real estate holdings - was appointed dean. Under his tenure, the seminary experienced extensive growth, both in student body and faculty. Dean Hoffman's "grand design" (shown in a drawing in this post, obviously not taken by me) was for the Seminary's Chelsea campus to be built on an Oxford model, with neo-Gothic buildings facing onto a grand central quadrangle or Close. Dean Hoffman's most influential addition to the seminary was the Chapel of the Good Shepard which was begun in 1886, completed two years later, and became known as the "Jewel of Chelsea Square." Its set of 15 tubular bells is the oldest extant in this country, with tubes by John Harrington of Coventry, England; original installation (1888) by Walter Durfee of Providence, Rhode Island; and a modern baton clavier (1983) by Royal Eijsbouts of Asten, Netherlands. The tower chime is played daily by members of the Seminary's Guild of Chimers to call the community to worship. Architect Charles C. Haight designed and supervised construction of most of the buildings on Chelsea Square. Due to growing housing needs for married students, GTS acquired 422 West 20th Street, a residential building opposite the 20th Street gate in March 1957. A renovation and expansion of the seminary buildings facing 10th Avenue (pictures run up 10th Avenue and down both streets 20th & 21st to 9th Avenue) in 2007, when the Desmond Tutu Center opened. Named for Desmond Tutu, former visiting professor at GTS and retired archbishop of the Church of the Province of South Africa, the Tutu Center operates primarily as a hotel and conference center. Also in 2007, the seminary in need of funds, sold Sherrill Hall, a 1960s building along 9th Avenue for the construction of a residential condominium building. The Chelsea Enclave was completed in 2010 and contains the Seminary's Keller Library. The Seminary's main entrance is now located on 21st Street between 9th and 10th Avenues. #chelseaneighborhood#viewfromanyctaxi
The General Theological Seminary, founded in 1817, is the oldest Seminary of the Episcopal Church and a leading center of theological education in the Anglican Communion. The Seminary was charted by an act of the Episcopal Church's General Convention and its name was chosen to reflect its founders vision that it be a Seminary to serve the whole church. In May 1817 General Convention, the governing body of the Episcopal Church, met in New York City and passed two resolutions: first, to found a general Episcopal seminary to be supported by the whole church; second, that it be located in New York City. This was emended in 1820 to remove the school to New Haven, Connecticut, but in 1821 the will of Trinity Church vestry member Jacob Sherred, directed his entire fortune of $60,000 stipulated on it being in New York. The General Seminary had begun its 1820 term in Connecticut, but a special convocation of the bishops was arranged, however, and it was agreed to return to New York to receive Sherred's grant, although the Virginia deputies continued to bemoan that the seminary should be "placed under more favorable auspices for the promotion of what we believe to be sound views of the Gospel and the Church than it would be in New York." The unified school opened for the spring term in 1822 in New York City. Other parishioners of Trinity Church went on to support the once more local institution. Clement Clarke Moore, owned the estate "Chelsea", which included most of what would become the Manhattan neighborhood by that name. Also a member of Trinity Church - he donated 66 tracts of land - which was the apple orchard - which would become the new seminary. It was not, however, until 1827 that the seminary occupied the land. #chelseaneighborhood#nycseminary#nychistory#viewfromanyctaxi
This building deserves more than one post. A portion of architect Charles Haight's mid-1800's masterpiece and Federal Historic Landmark, the General Theological Seminary in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, have been transformed into the High Line Hotel. The majestic grounds - once Clement Clarke Moore's 17-century apple orchard - and awe-inspiring Cathedral are a piece of New York's history ('Twas the Night Before Christmas" was penned here) whose likes will not be seen again. Nestled in the heart of Chelsea's buzzing gallery district, the High Line Hotel is a completely unique and inspiring respite from the harried place of downtown Manhattan. Just off 10th Avenue, the gated Parisian style courtyard complete with lush gardens demarcated by gas lamps, beckons passers-by to step into a different era. The centuries-old collegiate Gothic-style brick buildings lend an air of gravitas without overwhelming the property. Step inside, however, and timeless design shares center stage with timely design. The High Line Hotel, much like its groundbreaking, elevated namesake 50 yards to the west, is not a simple homage to the past but rather builds on this epic, distinctly American history, guiding it directly into the contemporary city. The hotel's large guest rooms and lobby draw inspiration from the estate's original roots as a quiet apple orchard turned cloistered Seminar. Gothic moldings and accent details, including fireplaces, have been maintained through history does not hamper the hotel's modern aspirations. Each room has been furnished with hand-selected, one-of-a-kind pieces sourced from antique fairs, vintage markets and found object providers from New York State and around the US. #chelseaneighborhood#nychotels#theologicalseminary#viewfromanyctaxi
Always a class act, Chateauneuf-du-Pape is beloved by wine lovers world wide. The 2015 Les Terrasses is certainly no exception. Ripe berried aromatics, with blackberries, plums, and macerated raspberries on the palate with herbs, purple flowers, and a touch of garrigue. Balanced, persistant, and just plain delicious. At $32 per bottle for 6 or more, it's a steal! Call, email, or visit burgundywinecompany.com to order. email@example.com 212.691.9092 #chateauneuf -du-pape #lesterrasses#2015vintage#burgundywinecompany#winelovers#winestagram#Chelseaneighborhood#orderonline#10 %off