Cancel all your dinner plans because this is the one recipe you're going to need all winter long. I cannot get enough of this southwestern chili pie with a cornbread crust (+ a drizzle of honey on top). If you're on a healthy eating plan, this probably isn't up your alley, but for the rest of us who just want to enjoy all the comforts, then this will be your new favorite recipe!
There's a funny backstory to my history with chili + this recipe today on the blog. Go check it out.
Words cannot describe how moist, soft and decadent this cake is. One slice is simply not enough. The marriage of chocolate and orange was one that was most definitely made in heaven and this cake definitely does not dissapoint.
350g caster sugar
350g unsalted butter (room temperature)
6 eggs, whisked slightly
350g self raising flour, sifted
4 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
4 tbsp milk
6 tbsp orange juice
Grated rind of 1 orange
350g icing sugar
4 tbsp orange juice
Some melted chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
2. Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the eggs beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour.
3. Divide the mixture into equal halves (or as equally as you can eyeball). Add the cocoa and milk to one half and flavour the other half with the orange rind and juice. Mix both well till all the ingredients are incorporated.
4. Place alternating spoonfuls of each mixture into a greased cake tin and swirl together to create a marbled effect. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a cake skewer inserted comes out dry. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
5. To make the frosting - Add the icing sugar to a mixing bowl and add the orange juice in small amounts and mix to make a smooth paste consistency frosting. Spread this over the cooled cake and then make lines on top with the melted chocolate once this has dried and pull through with a toothpick to create a design.
✨ 🔮 Magic Broth Recipe 🔮 ✨
I swear by the following ingredients when making broths, especially when I’m under the weather. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 tbsp grated or dried turmeric .
- 1 tbsp grated or dried ginger
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1/3 cup carrots
- 1/3 cup celery
- 2-3 cups water
- Salt, lemon, and/or pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of 1 of the following: olive, sesame, coconut oil OR ghee
- Herbs of your choice- parsley, cilantro are some yummy examples
Chop or blend veggies together. Add water in a pot & boil until veggies are soft. Add optional ingredients during the last minute of cooking. Sip alone or you can also add beans, veggies or other soup goodies to make soup.
🔶What are your fave go-to kitchen cold & flu remedies? What do you like to add to you soups? ⤵️
Okay listen, I know you still have your new year resolutions in mind!
BELIEVE me when I tell you! If you have a sweet tooth craving but still want to keep it plant-based and clean you need to make these quick! I saw them on a blog a while back and always wanted to make them. They’re super quick and simple. And while these little babies aren’t the prettiest looking, they taste like heaven in your mouth. 😝 Trust me on this one. They’re vegan and gluten-free and are soooo buttery and decadent.
THE RECIPE BELOW: 👇🏾
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
2 cups of old-fashioned gluten-free oats (divided)
3/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
1 cup chocolate chips or carob chips
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper . Spray parchment paper with coconut or avocado cooking oil. **** If you don't have parchment on hand you can use aluminum. Which isn't my favorite choice because of it strong links to neurological disorders such as Alzheimers disease.
3. Add melted 3/4 coconut oil to 3/4 coconut sugar into a medium to large size bowl and mix until well combined.
4. Divide oats and blend 1 cup in a food processor or high powered blender until oats turn into flour like powder.
5. Into the sugar and coconut oil bowl combine both 1 cup oat flour and remaining 1 cup rolled oats together. Also add baking powder, baking soda, vanilla as well as 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix thoroughly.
6. Take half of the oat mixture and line and press into parchment lined baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
1. Caramel Sauce: Combine 1/2 cup of tahini, 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk and a dash of salt. Mix until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
2. Take lined crust out of oven after 10 minutes. Add chocolate pieces to crust and then slowly pour caramel layer over and distribute sauce evenly.
Hanger pangs got you like a raging bull?⠀
Ya me too. ⠀
My top tips for surviving a bout of the bull really comes down to preparation!⠀
As boring as it sounds.. it's about forward thinking. ⠀
On a Sunday afternoon (or whenever best suits your schedule!) bake up a batch of healthy fat + protein filled muesli slice + cook a bit of extra dinner each night so you have a deliciously nutritious lunch prepped for the next day. ⠀
Then before you leave the house at whatever point during the week - properly think through your snacking / meal options and pack accordingly... et voila! 💃🏽
Shrimp and pasta!🍤🍝 This is what you need to make this beautiful delicious Tuesday dinner. For sauce you'll need- 1 tbs paprika, 3 tomatoes, 1 red onion, 1 clove garlic, 3 tbs olive oil, 3 tbs Italian parsley, salt, pepper, 1 tbs honey, goat cheese, 300 gr shrimp, lemon juice. #shrimp#spaggetti#tuesdaydinner#easyrecipe#homecooking
These Buckeye Bites are perfect for a crowd 🙌 and I made them in my @Osterkitchen toaster oven! (#ad ) Sweet chocolate cookie cups filled with a peanut butter mixture and topped with chocolate ganache – so good! 🎉🎉 #peanutbutter#chocolate#cookies#dessert#momontimeout
Tap @momontimeout for the recipe (link in profile)
It’s “get yo toast on Tuesday!” Anyone that eats with me on the reg is aware of my love for tasty toast. Whether it’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner, I love to top my toast with everything from almond butter and apples to goat cheese and figs. I’m always looking for new kitchen creations, so share some of your favorite ways to top your toast in the comments below!
Photo Love: eatyourheartoutwithalex
Pollo in Potacchio (chicken braised in tomatoes and rosemary) + skinny garlic knots!
This recipe is outstanding. Not only is it super healthy, and honestly you can go wild with the veggies (because you end up with a super delicious pasta sauce) but paired with a simple salad, it’s a perfect weeknight meal. The garlic knot recipe will be in the comments. For people leery of baking, please please try this! It’s healthy and crazy simple and delicious. Enjoy!
* 6-8 skinless chicken thighs on the bone
* kosher salt and fresh black pepper
* 3 – 4 small sprigs fresh rosemary
* 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
* 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 celery stalk, chopped
* 1 carrot, chopped
* 1 package chopped mushrooms
* pinch red pepper flakes, optional
* 2 cups Imported crushed tomatoes (Tuttoroso)
* 1/4 tsp dried parsley
* 1/4 tsp dried oregano
* 1/4 cup dry white wine * 2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken or veggie stock * kosher salt and fresh black pepper
1. Lightly season the chicken with salt and fresh pepper. Place a Dutch Oven or large heavy pot on medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, when hot add the chicken and sear until browned on all sides, about 6-7 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a dish and set aside.
2. Sauté garlic and onions (and red pepper flakes if using) in remaining oil; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add celery, carrots and mushrooms and saute on medium-low for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the wine and chicken broth, scraping any caramelized bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
3. Add tomatoes, parsley, oregano and reduce heat to low, adjust salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and rosemary to the sauce, partially cover and cook slowly on low heat for another 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding water if needed.
Sometimes when you’re a college student this is what a healthy dinner looks like. I try to prep a few meals each week for nights that I am too busy to cook!
- lemon pepper chicken
- brown & wild rice
- steamed broccoli
Grandlicious. I invented a new word. It means the most over the top unbelievably #delicious#dinner ever. Guys. I have made 23 #recipes over the past 4 days and this Creamy #Pesto#Chicken was not only the winner, but one that when we tasted it we instantly knew it would be one of those we have over and over again forever and all time. It is just dinner perfection. Only a few ingredients and 4 steps- Simple to make. Only one dish - simple to clean up. Finger-licking good for adults and kids.
So I am begging you... if you think this looks as good as I say it tastes, give me a heart ❤️ then add this to your #mealplan ASAP! Grab the full #recipe below or hop over to my stories and swipe up to go to the full post with nutrition info, tons of serving suggestions and some little tips for making it.
Creamy Pesto Chicken
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (3-4 chicken breasts)
8 oz @lovemyphilly #creamcheese , softened
1/3 cup basil pesto, prepared
1 cup mozzarella #cheese , shredded
1/2 cup cherry #tomatoes , halved
6 leaves fresh #basil , chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
2. Mix softened cream cheese and pesto together until combined.
3. Lay chicken breasts flat in a large baking dish. Spread pesto mixture evenly over the chicken breasts and sprinkle the mozzarella over the top.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165˚F.) 5. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. Serve hot over rice, spinach, pasta, or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
It’s finally here!!!!! I’m jumping on the pressure cooker train! Choo Choo!!! I chose the Crockpot brand over the Instant Pot because it’s half the price and had great reviews! It doesn’t have a manual setting but I’m told the “bean” setting basically lets you control the heat and whatever else the manual setting is for. I have some learning to do! *check out my highlight for a super easy dinner recipe (baked in the oven because my pot arrived during dinner time)*
We’ve been prepping our Big Game Day spread! #AD I have the perfect snacks on the blog today that will make tummies happy and you will be cheering for more! 🏈 ❤️ #BigGameBBxx @babbleboxxofficial @ragu @gardenofeatinchips @formaggiocheese @redduckfoods
Who doesn’t like Creamy tomato 🍅soup in this kind of weather? Fool proof recipe: 4 small cans of whole unsalted peeled tomatoes (San Marzana preferred) 1/2 cup of peeled garlic cloves, 2 stalks of chopped celery, 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and chopped, 2 cups of vegetables stock, 1/2 cup heavy cream 3 leaves fresh basil or thyme 🌱🍃 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil Heat a heavy bottom pot and add your olive oil and whole cloves of garlic, roast in oil until golden, add the celery and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and vegetable stock and fresh herbs. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 20-30 minutes and let all the flavors marry. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Reduce heat and add heavy cream (optional for my plant based friends) and place in a blender and purée until smooth. #tryittonight#easyrecipe#chefk#protip#comfortfood#tomatosoup#silkysmooth#soupson#goodfoodforgogetters
Recovering from the cold weather or the flu? It’s time for chicken soup! Our Taste the Seasons Vegetable Tray mix adds the finishing touch of veggies and seasonings to this soup.
GINGERED CHICKEN and CORN SOUP
Recipe on our website - link in bio
Forever craving falafel 🤤🙌 the wrap has some romaine, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, hummus and @freshii falafel (was defs missing garlic sauce) 😢
macros were 451 cal, 62C, 17F, 15P! Would love to up the protein, any suggestions for a high protein Mediterranean-style wrap?
To change your life you have to change yourself. To change yourself, you have to change your mindset. Replace “I can’t do it” with “I CAN and I WILL do it!”👊🏻
It only takes one person to change your life.. YOU! If you aren’t happy with something, change what you are doing. It’s not always easy, but it will be worth it! Small changes can make a big difference. Great things never come from comfort zones.
Day 9.. booty day! 🍑 This is an area of my body I really want to work on. 😆 This workout today was a booty killer! There were times when I wanted to quit because it burned, but I pushed through the burn! My booty was on fire!🔥 I can’t wait to see the changes that will be happening throughout this new journey. I love this program so much!
Nao fossem os suspiros pelo meio e este doce fresquinho era digno de qualquer dieta Paelo, Vegana ou Glúten Free #sqn é mesmo uma daquelas "misturangas" boas que não se baseiam em coisa nenhuma a não ser o facilitarismo das donas de casa 🍓🍓🍓. Faz-se em 5 minutos e safa-nos a honra em qualquer almoço, jantar ou ocasião especial. Além disso é daquelas sobremesas que não deixa remorços porque pensamos "que se lixe, é fruta, vou repetir"🍴! Aprendi a receita na passagem de ano e vai ser daquelas que vou reciclar até a minha gente enjoar. Desculpem lá fazer um post sobre comida a esta hora, mas o meu mindset não tem variado muito ultimamente 🙈! Vão lá comer 3 nozes e beber um copo de água que isso passa 😅. Agora só tenho uma dúvida, um blog de maternidade pode usar a hastag #foodporn ou arrisco-me a censura? ⚠ #sobremesade5minutos
DAIRY FREE BANANA AND PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS
Adding peanut butter is a good way to make muffins that are delicious and dairy free. Try this delectable combination of banana and peanut butter.
If you have any good dairy substitutes or recipes for following a dairy free diet do please share them with us .. Suitable from 10 months
120ml maple syrup
125g sunflower oil
85g peanut butter
159g ripe banana mashed
200g self raising flour
50g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 Preheat the oven to 160C Fan. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
2 Best the eggs , maple syrup and oil together in a bowl. Mash a banana with the peanut butter. Add the mixture to the egg, syrup and oil. Mix well.
3 Measure the flour, caster sugar, sultanas and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the wet ingredient and whisk using an electric hand whisk for one minute. Spoon into the cases.
4 Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until well risen and firm in the middle.
5 Cook on a wire rack.
MAKES 12 MUFFINS
new blog post alert • low sugar hormone balancing chocolate bliss balls made with @alohamoment plant based protein 🌻 link in bio •
as most of you know a couple of months ago i made the decision to come off of my hormonal birth control pill for numerous reasons (blog post coming ASAP with more on this) and since then regulating my hormones naturally and putting as little stress as possible on my adrenal glands to try and get my body back to normal has become one of my main focuses..
if you didn’t know -> our adrenal glands produce and regulate a variety of hormones most of which are critical to a woman’s menstrual cycle and if any of these hormones aren’t distributed properly or the body does not properly regulate the levels of the hormones major disruptions can occur which is exactly what happens when you come off of the pill - so a couple of things i’m doing to help my body are;
• cutting out coffee and minimizing caffeine in general
• lowering my sugar intake (even natural added sugar) .
• supplementing maca powder daily
• adding in lots of healthy fats
& these bliss balls include all of those things!
Omg! Premier article de 2018 enfin en ligne sur le blogue! Yayyy ❤️ je suis vraiment contente de ma recette et aussi de ma photo. 📷C'est rare que je dis ça, mais c'est que je me suis vraiiiiment forcée pour la prendre. Ça a valu la peine? Vous en dites quoi? Merci de votre patience et surtout bonne cuisine! 😘
A little Spanish inspiration for your next gathering with friends! 🇪🇸😉 Tapenade is an original way to prepare your favourite food. Gracias to @northern_style for this great Mediterranean appetizer recipe with green Gordal olives. --
Un peu d'inspiration espagnole pour votre prochain 5 à 7 entre amis! 🇪🇸😉 Une tapenade est une façon originale de servir vos aliments favoris. Gracias @northern_style pour cette superbe recette d'entrée méditerranéenne avec olives vertes Gordal.
Pollo en salsa chipotle 🌶 ME ENAMORÉ DE ESTA RECETA y no usé crema (la sustituí, por yogurt y quedo buenerrimo como quiera) 👁 hoy quise cocinar algo diferente y nuevo para agregarlo a mi lista de Recetas caseras saludables 🏚🍴 y la verdad soy de esas que la primera vez que intenta hacer algo no le sale 😆 peroooooooo esto me quedó maravilloso! Intenté escribir la receta pero de tan extenso que estaba el procedimiento no cabe por aquí 😖🤷🏻 PEROOOOOOO si les gusta y quieren saber como lo hice les grabaré todo el procedimiento! ¿Que opinan? Yes o Nah ! .
Did you know that when meat is cooked at high temperatures, such as grilling on an open flame, the creatine, amino acids, and sugars in the meat form chemical compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) that can cause mutations in our DNA and ultimately, at high enough doses, cancer (why does everything that's fun and delicious have a downside?! Boo). Fascinatingly, anti-oxidant rich marinades containing spices like turmeric and certain herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, mint) can substantially reduce HCA formation! This marinade for my pseudo tandoori chicken combines several anti-oxidant spices for a flavour and anti-carcinogenic boost. Like I've said on many occasions, if only our conventional meds tasted this good! Get the recipe at spicespicebaby.com - search curry bbq chicken under Recipes 🤓👩🏽🍳#spicetiptuesday#tandoori#chicken#indianfood#easyrecipe#anticancer#getsmartaboutspices#feedfeed @thefeedfeed #eattheworld | #spicespicebaby
Apparently #NationalPeanutButterDay is coming up...why not try something savory? 🥜This ✨ SWEET POTATO, RED LENTIL, & PEANUT STEW✨ is full of cozy and warming flavors & plant based protein 🙌🏼 Plus, it’s great for meal prep, freezes well, and you can make it on your stovetop or with an instant pot! I love this served over rice and with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro 😋 Want to try it for yourself? Tap the link in my bio or head over to http://frommybowl.com/sweet-potato-peanut-stew/ for the full printable recipe 🍽 #FromMyBowl // 🎶: @joeyburbs