Saved from demolition in the 1980s, 'Tusculum' represents a highpoint in Regency architectural design in Australia.
It is one of only three houses designed by the fashionable colonial architect, John Verge (1782-1861) to have survived in the Potts Point area - along with Rockwall and Elizabeth Bay House.
As Sydney moved into the 20th century, Tusculum and the surrounding land passed though many hands. Between 1928 – 1939 Tusculum was leased as a private hospital and during the Second World War, momentarily served as a base for the American Red Cross.
The Australian Institute of Architects (formerly RAIA) are Tusculum’s current occupants and carried out further renovations to the property between 2011 and 2013 in response to ongoing deterioration of fabric caused by damp. The property is extensively used for professional, business and public events and can be visited on weekdays.