Collard Greens,,,, what is a hard to ignore reason collard greens stand out among the world's healthiest foods??!
Cancer Prevention! ✅
They provide special nutrient support for 3 body systems that are key in cancer prevention.
1) Antioxidant System
2) Detoxification System
3) Anti-inflammatory System
Chronic imbalance in any of these 3 systems can increase cancer risk. When all 3 are compromised then the risk is significantly higher.
Prevention of bladder, breast, colon, lung, prostate, and ovarian cancers are all closely associated with the intake of collard greens.
How to Freeze Collard Greens🌿
1) Rinse well, remove the central spine. 🌱
2) Place in a pot with 5 quarts of boiling water. Once water returns to a rapid boil then set timer for 3-4 mins. 🌱
3) Remove with slotted spoon and plunge into a large container of ice water for 3-4 mins ( half fill a large bowl with ice cubes then fill with water) 🌱
4) Drain well and place on a parchment paper lined tray in the freezer. Have pieces positioned so that they're not touching. Once frozen, place in freezer bags to store for up to a year. 🌱
No need to thaw when using in recipes or smoothies. •••
Greens remain one of the most important vegetables to have on a daily basis for many reasons. Cancer prevention is surely an outstanding reason that collard greens need to be on your plate often!
A LOT of ingredients go into creating a good 'make it nutritious' veggie burger, especially this Lentil burger. 💚
Lentils are high in folic acid, a B vitamin. Dopamine synthesis relies on B vitamins. ✅
1 cup lentils ( any kind except red lentils)
2 cups water
1 Bay leaf
1/2 cup onions
2 large garlic cloves
1 T minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup red bell pepper ( missing from the photo)
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup minced fresh basil or parsley
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Juice of one lemon
1) Toast sunflower seeds on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet @275F for 25 mins
2) Soak lentils in hot water for 2 hrs, drain and rinse. Place in 4 qt pot with 2 cups of water and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 mins. Remove lid, increase heat to medium stirring occasionally until remaining liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender. Mash, leaving some lentils whole.
3) Chop onions, garlic, carrots, bell pepper and grate ginger.
4) Sauté onions, garlic and ginger for 5 mins. Add spices and stir another 2 mins. Remove from heat.
5) Place oats, seeds, cooked lentils, veggies and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl then add the sautéed onions, garlic, and ginger.
6) Add nutritional yeast and basil or parsley.
7) Stir to make a stiff mixture ( add more oats if not stiff enough)
8) Add juice of 1 lemon and let stand 1/2 hr to bind before shaping into patties.
9) Fry 10 mins on each side, or bake in the oven @375F for 15 mins then turn and bake another 10 mins until crispy.
Freezes very well. •••
Strawberry plant from my balcony garden is still producing these gorgeous blossoms and ripe berries 6 weeks later! 🍓
Along with greens and beans, berries of any kind should be consumed daily.
Health Benefits of Strawberries: 🍓
1) Strawberries have high amounts of phenolic flavonoid phytochemicals called anthocyanins and ellagic acid, which may have potential health benefits against cancer, aging, inflammation and neurological diseases. 🍓
2) High ORAC value ( measure of antioxidant strength) 🍓
3) Excellent vitamin C content. Vitamin C is a powerful natural antioxidant which helps the body in resisting infectious agents, counter inflammation and scavenge harmful free radicals. 🍓
4) Rich in the B-complex group of vitamins. Good amounts of vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and folic acid. These vitamins all act to help metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. 🍓
5) Contain vitamin-A, vitamin-E, and health promoting flavonoid poly phenolic antioxidants lutein, zeaxanthin, and small amounts of beta-carotene which all play a role in fighting aging and various disease processes. 🍓
6) Contain a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, fluorine, copper, iron, and iodine. 🍓
Do you need any more reasons to incorporate more berries into your day?? 😎
Dr Greger of @nutrition_facts_org and author of How Not To Die says the LEADING dietary risk is not eating ENOUGH fruit each and every day. 🍓🍓🍓
The Dirty Dozen refers to this list of 12 foods that you should aim to buy organic because their pesticide load is very high.🌿🍃
Organic food is void of synthetic chemicals and pesticides that are linked to certain types of cancers and may affect a child's developing body and brain. The term organic means it's grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or radiation. And meat, poultry, eggs, or dairy has not been treated with antibiotics or growth hormones. 🍃🌿
Organic food has the same vitamins and minerals as non organic but has higher antioxidant levels. 🌿🍃
Switching to an organic diet for children significantly reduces their exposure to organophosphates ( a class of pesticides that affect the nervous system )
Their unique susceptibility to the potential toxicity of synthetic chemicals makes organic food a very important choice.
Studies of toddlers who consume organic foods have been found to have 6-9x less pesticides in their blood compared to those eating non organic foods.
No food is 100% residue-free but organic has significantly lower pesticide levels than conventional food. 🌿🍃
Counteract the added expense of organic food by
1) Cooking whole foods from scratch
2) Planning meals carefully
3) Doing home gardening if possible
4) Doing home preserving as much as possible. •••
For our health and the health of the planet it's better to buy all organic but that's not always within budget so remember what foods are the most contaminated and choose organic for them.
Photo EWG.org •••
WHY are we still reaching for plastic water bottles knowing how bad they are for the environment and for our health?? And with the many alternatives available these days there's really no excuse. 🌊
Other plastic debris along with billions of water bottles are clogging our oceans and killing marine life. •••
Synthetic chemicals like bisphenol A and phthalates that are in plastic are polluting not just the environment, but our bodies. 🌊
20 years ago I heard an oncologist speaking on the radio about the dangers of plastic water bottles. He said that males who drink the water from just 2 of these bottles a day have consumed the equivalent of one birth control pill,,, the estrogenic effect of those plastic chemicals is that powerful. Here we are so many years later and that message has been buried!!
A very disturbing consequence of the chemical revolution of the past 100 years is the disruption of testosterone that results in damaging the sexual development of male children. This chemical threat to boys may be a threat to survival of our species. 😮
Think twice before you reach for liquids that come in plastic bottles. All liquids ,, salad dressings, juices, soda, etc.
It is possible to reduce plastic in your everyday life. If not now, then when???
Cauliflower & Pumpkin Seed Crust Pizza ( Vegan, Gluten-Free ),,, 🍕recipe by @mynaturalkitchen 🍃
•••• The combination of pulsed raw cauliflower, organic raw pumpkin seeds ground, chia seeds, nutritional yeast, and hemp seeds makes this crust not only tasty but full of nutrients that other crusts lack.
Swipe Left 🍕
1) Pumpkin seeds are long valued as a good source of zinc and iron 🍃
2) Diversity of antioxidants gives pumpkin seeds antioxidant-related properties that are not widely found in food.🍃
3) Mineral nutrients include phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, & copper 🍃
4) The unique proteins in pumpkin seeds provide many anti- microbial properties ( anti-fungal, anti-viral) 🍃
5) Diabetes - recent studies show ground pumpkin seeds improve insulin regulation, as well as a decrease in oxidative stress. 🍃
6) Cancer benefits - with the unique composition of antioxidant nutrients, lignans, and phytosterols there is a reduced cancer risk associated with pumpkin seed intake. 🍃
Side note: Buy organic and if roasting have the temp no higher than 170 F for no more than 20 mins to preserve the healthy fats.🍃