Feature Friday "We love how convenient it is to go to Meg's exercise class in our condo building! We especially enjoy the balance exercises and stretches. Every class involves many lively discussions and lots of laughter! We love our weekly exercise class. Thank you Meg!"
What’s YOUR movement factor? How can we work together to improve your physical fitness and well-being?
1. The Move More Institute™
- Are you mostly sedentary?
- In need of guidance and motivation to get moving?
- Don’t want to join a gym or group class, but know you need to get your muscles moving?
- You want to sign up for online movement coaching, learn how to add more movement at work, or host a movement workshop
- You’ve read Miranda Esmonde-White's “Forever Painless” or “Aging Backwards”
- You’ve tried Classical Stretch and/or Essentrics TV workouts
- You want to join an Essentrics class, have a private session, or host a corporate class
3. Personal Training
- You’re looking to improve your balance, posture, flexibility and/or strength
- You don’t want to join a gym
- You want one-on-one personal training in your home or office, but maybe don't live in Ottawa
- You want a fitness house call or online training
Home-based workouts for all ages! You don’t need a lot of space to move your body. And who says you need special equipment? Not me! I teach you how to incorporate snacks of movement into your daily life. So of course I film in my own home. Remember: move more and you will feel better.
One of the reasons I love teaching Essentrics is that it’s a workout for all ages. And I’ve taught all ages - from 3 to 93. This morning, I get to spend time with my amazing Friday morning crew and it’s a full house! But you can always join a Monday class. Class sizes are kept small, so you’ll never feel crowded out. 🙆🏽♀️👣💪🏽😀
Ahh who doesn’t love food?! I know I do and if I’m bored, stressed, or just plain famished, there’s a good chance I’ll eat more than my body needs. Here are some tricks and tips you can use to help you avoid this:
1. Drink some water! I bet ya didn’t know that sometimes our brains confuse being thirsty with being hungry, so the best way to avoid this is to sip on some agua. And hey, we need it to live, so you should be drinking it throughout the day anyway 😋
2. Exercise exercise exercise 👍🏼 Let’s be honest, exercise cures almost everything, but when you overeat, it’s usually the consequence of being stressed or bored. Your body actually releases a hormone called cortisol when your stressed, which slows down your metabolism, so the combination of being stressed, not burning as many calories as normal, AND reaching for that za 🍕 is a recipe for disaster. So go exercise! It will help you release some endorphins (the feel good hormone) and will keep you from overindulging
3. The last and final tip is to slow down. It’s pretty self explanatory, but one of the easiest ways to beat overeating is to chew just a little bit slower. “When you eat slower, you digest better.” It takes about twenty minutes from the start of a meal for the brain to send out signals of fullness. Most people’s meals don’t even last that long, so chill with the urgency to finish fast
Foam rolling post leg workout. It’s SUPER IMPORTANT to stretch and roll out your muscles. This helps to prevent injury and pain, as well as helping to lengthen and strengthen your muscles! Foam rolling doesn’t usually feel too good but the benefits are AWESOME! Don’t ever skip it 😃
Short on time, but still want to get in a great workout? Grab your resistance bands and let’s go.
RB bear crawl lateral walk
RB straight leg lateral hops
RB lateral walk (band around middle of foot)
RB glute bridge w hip abduction
RB isolated squat + lateral/backward step
RB Superman + shoulder abduction
RB Superman + leg abduction
I did all of the exercises to failure and repeated the whole thing 3x. Happy Tuesday!