Some close-up views of the #ArtDeco section from the #BruyèreHospital , on #BruyèreStreet close to #SussexDrive . The second photo is on the north side. This part from the #1930s was designed by noted Ottawa-based architect #WENoffke and #LucienLeblanc . The section further east away from Sussex is more modern. Noffke has really left a big mark on Ottawa,
using a wide array of styles:
"Noffke continued to build in Ottawa up until the 1950s. He explored most of the major stylistic trends and designed for institutional, commercial, religious and domestic purposes. His houses can be found in most of Ottawa’s central residential neighbourhoods: Sandy Hill, the Glebe, Rockliffe Park, Westboro, Britannia, and Alta Vista. His institutional and commercial designs show his ability to respond to client requirements in a variety of formats. He designed the charming Spanish Colonial Revival style fire station (now a community centre) in Ottawa South; he built churches, both for the Lutheran as well as for the Roman Catholic Church; and in the Byward Market area, he built a synagogue (now demolished) as well as the Champagne Bath, one of two public indoor swimming pools built by the City in the 1920s. The Medical Arts Building, constructed on Metcalfe Street in 1928-1929 was both a new functional type – a building devoted exclusively to rented medical suites – and one of a relatively few #Noffke designs to exhibit Art Deco motifs. This stylistic influence can also be seen in the extension to the General Hospital (now the Elizabeth Bruyère Health Centre) which he under- took around the same time."
- Shannon Rickettes, 'Werner Ernst Noffke: Ottawa’s Architect' #HeritageOttawa Newsletter, Summer 2005, v.32, n.3
This is more of #WENoffke ’s & #LucienLeblanc ’s work on the Élisabeth #BruyèreHospital , including the #chapel . This photo was taken on #CathcartStreet just off #SussexDrive , on the north side of the building. But long before #Noffke ’s work, none of this would be here without the Vesting Act of 1843, which enable this #hospital to be founded:
“Of greater importance, however, was the security, which private ownership offered to the sponsors of much needed public service institutions. In 1850, the Sisters of Charity under Elisabeth Bruyère were able to erect a permanent General Hospital on the corner of Bruyère and Sussex Streets in the heart of Lower Town; in 1851 Bishop Guiges had a permanent home for the Collège de Bytown constructed of stone at the corner of Guiges and Sussex Streets south of the Genera l Hospital. The college was to be the future nucleus of the Université d'Ottawa. As well, private ownership aided the commercial and economic viability of the town.”
- Michael Newton "The Search for Heritage in Ottawa's Lower Town." Urban History Review 92 (1980): 21–37. DOI : 10.7202/1019334ar
This section of the #BruyèreHospital was renovated by #WENoffke and #LucienLeblanc . This is the #BruyèreStreet side of the building, just off #SussexDrive , but the other side shares this #ArtDeco look.
"In 1845, 26-year-old Elisabeth Bruyère was called to help build the city of Ottawa, then named Bytown. Planning to stay three years, she remained for three decades.
"Bruyère was a member of the #GreyNuns in Montreal, and known, even at a young age, for her compassion and discretion. With just five weeks’ notice of her posting, she travelled non-stop for two days with a handful of other sisters to #Bytown , where she became the superior-foundress of the local order of Grey Nuns. Until her death, she would unswervingly serve the community that became the capital.
"Bruyère and her group arrived in Bytown on Feb. 20, 1845, and within three months had established a school, a hospital, a hospice for the elderly and an orphanage. Images of her suggest the stern determination it would have taken to build a community and institutions from the ground up in so little time. After only a year, there were 238 students, 14 patients and 14 orphans in her care."
Did you notice the #sundial in the first photo of the #BruyèreHospital building? There are actually two, one facing west, the other south, on the corner of #SussexDrive and #BruyèreStreet . The second oldest of its kind in North America!
"At the corner of Bruyère and Sussex in downtown Ottawa there is an unassuming marking on a building that was constructed in 1851. It is the second oldest sundial on the continent (one from 1773 in Quebec City is the oldest). Ottawa’s unique vertical sundials were built by Father Jean-François Allard, who had come from France and assigned as Chaplain to the Mother House.
"Besides being a spiritual advisor to the nuns, he was a professor of Geography, Geometry and Mathematics with a keen interest in astronomy and the movement of the sun. Allard got to work designing and building the sundials on the southwest corner of the building and completed them on March 29 1851. It became the first public timepiece in Ottawa and the first of its kind in Canada.
"The two dials, 7×8 feet on the west side and approximately 7×4 feet on the east side, use black painted iron “gnomons” that capture the shadow of the sun and mark the designated time carefully with Roman numerals. The western dial has hour lines from 10 AM to 7 PM and the eastern dial has hour lines from 7 AM to 3 PM. These dials predate the use of time zones and show local solar time and they have been giving the correct time since 1851.
"Celebrating its 165th anniversary this March 29th, the modest timepiece sits quietly unnoticed in downtown Ottawa, continuing to correctly give the time to all citizens who pass by. I think it might be time to dial in some attention to this timepiece, giving it some “time in the sun” so to speak, a recognition it rightfully deserves as being North America’s second oldest sundial and the National Capital’s first public timepiece." - Andrew King, March 17, 2016
This view of the #EmbassyOfKuwait is taken from #StAndrewsStreet , looking north up #SussexDrive . You can see the #BruyèreHospital (the former Ottawa General Hospital) behind it. 🇰🇼🏛🇨🇦
"The #Embassy 's new building in Ottawa is located at Sussex Drive across from the Royal Canadian Mint and the National Gallery of Canada. The dome roof gives a hint of the Middle East to the building which blends well with its historic surroundings and other government buildings. The building walls are a mix of granite and limestone, chosen carefully to harmonize well with old and new buildings nearby."
An April 2001 report for the City of Ottawa on the then-proposed #KuwaitEmbassy on #SussexDrive :
"The building proposed for the Embassy of Kuwait is two storeys in height, clad in grey Tyndall #limestone together with horizontal banding in brick and stone. The building, while contemporary in its design is also contextual in its scale and sympathetic to both the institutional buildings on either side along Sussex Drive and the residential streetscapes along Bruyere and St. Andrew Streets. As such, the building is in general conformance with the guidelines for new construction in the Lowertown West Heritage Conservation District Study by Michael McLelland and Associates (May, 1993) and is supported by this Department. Elevations of the proposed embassy are included as Documents 2, 3, and 4 of this report."
Long before the #EmbassyOfKuwait was built on #SussexDrive , this #hotel was on the same lot, on the corner of what was then Sussex Steet at Water Street (now #BruyèreStreet ). The demolition of this historic building - for a gas station! - helped prompt the @ncc_ccn to make the preservation of the buildings on Sussex (of which I’ve posted many this year) a serious priority. This photo is from Canada’s official archives, at http://data2.archives.ca/e/e438/e010934805-v8.jpg .
"The concept for a #MileOfHistory was in large part sparked by the destruction of this handsome stone building at Sussex and Bruyere Streets, Thomas Goulden's Hotel (1852-1860). Judged to be one of the finest buildings on the street, its demolition was opposed by the Ottawa Historical Society which appealed to the City of Ottawa to save it, and a personal intervention by Prime Minister John Diefenbaker. It was a great loss but it provided the impetus for some form of government action on the #MileOfHistory ." (Photo: LAC-e010934805)
"Despite these protests, in December 1959 the fight was lost and the demolition proceeded the following summer for a gas station. Nonetheless it had a galvanic effect on the #NCC , which had just been given the mandate to administer the conservation and restoration of historic buildings."
Another look at #DonnellyHouse / #BishopsPalace on #SussexDrive , for many decades linked to the #LaSalleAcademy , but first built as a private home out of local #limestone .
"The La Salle Academy property is a complex of buildings and landscape elements from a variety of periods. It includes two significant mid-19th century buildings: the Thomas Donnelly house or Bishop's Palace, of c. 1843; and the La Salle Academy College Building, of 1852. A classroom wing was added in 1934, a gymnasium in 1965, and an office building and landscaped court in 1975. The Bishop's Palace and the College Building, fronting on Sussex Drive, had undergone numerous alterations over the years and were restored to their present configuration as part of the reworking of the site in 1975." […]
"The #heritage character of this property is defined by the careful juxtaposition of two fine 19th century stone buildings on Sussex Drive with more contemporary elements to the north and east. It is the building exteriors which are of prime concern; the only interior of interest is the restored basement area of the Bishop's Palace.
"The exterior of the Bishop's Palace was restored to its mid-19th century appearance in 1975. The stonework is original; the design of the reconstructed doors, windows and roof was based on documentary and physical evidence. The exterior of the College Building was restored at the same time to its post- 1890 appearance, a later phase in the building's evolution which was more practical if less visually appealing than the original design. These restored exteriors should be carefully maintained, and any repairs carried out in keeping with the restoration approach adopted in 1975."
I posted about the larger buiding here in August, as part of my look at the complex of buildings around #NotreDameOttawa . The smaller house attached to 375 Sussex is #DonnellyHouse , 365 Sussex Drive, and it predates its neighbours — indeed, it’s one of the oldest #stone buildings in Ottawa. It was built by Thomas Donnelly in 1844 to be his home, made with locally available #limestone . Donnelly rented out the #house to Bishop Guiges while the nearby Archbishop's Palace was being built, so this is also called #BishopsPalace . It was later used as a residence by the attached school, #LaSalleAcademy at 375 Sussex — which would ultimately become the University of Ottawa.
"The former La Salle Academy complex includes two significant mid-19th century buildings: the Bishop’s Palace and the Bytown College, both fronting on #SussexDrive between #StAndrewStreet and Guigues Avenue.
"The Bishop’s Palace served as the residence of Monseigneur Guigues, the first #Catholic bishop of Bytown, between 1847 and 1850. It is the oldest building on Sussex Drive, and one of the first “substantial” or stone residences constructed in Bytown after the Vesting Act of 1843, which permitted freehold sale of lands controlled by the Ordnance Department.
"The modest 2 ½ storey #Georgian style building is a 5 bay symmetrical design with a medium pitched gable roof. The north wall extends above the roof line as a parapet with embedded chimney, designed to prevent the spread of fire."
Last stop in Ottawa: another history lesson, this time at the Canadian War Museum. It’s astonishing how much I didn’t (and still don’t) know about my country’s past. The displays are impressive, including the Vimy exhibit which ends today.
Across the street, the new @national_holocaust_monument stands as a memorial to the millions of Jewish lives lost to the Nazi regime. When visiting the war museum, it’s absolutely worth visiting this important site too.
Roxy Paine’s 2008 #sculpture “One Hundred Foot Line” on the grounds of the #NationalGalleryOfCanada beside #NepeanPoint . This is beside #MajorsHillPark , on the west side of the #Gallery . Because of its setting near the #OttawaRiver , you can see the top of this piece from well east along #SussexDrive and from Parliament Hill.
“One Hundred Foot Line is one of a series of sculptures called Dendroids that has earned #RoxyPaine significant international acclaim in recent years. Made from unyielding, stainless #steel pipes used in manufacturing and heavy industry, #OneHundredFootLine is a masterful example of Paine's intense fascination with trees and his technical ability to create sublime structures from industrial materials. For him, the #Dendroids represent an attempt to observe trees as a language governed by rules and structures and reflect his thoughts on human encroachment on the #environment .
“One Hundred Foot Line presents a meandering tree trunk that has lost not only its leaves but all of its branches. The tallest of Paine's Dendroids to date, the work welds together dozens of stainless steel cylinders into a seamless whole. The National Gallery's sculpture distinguishes itself from others in this series through its uniform shimmer which displays a calmly discerning monumentality. As a glossy line extending steadfastly upward, Paine's latest offering is a bold statement on the relationship between nature and the "man made" in our contemporary world.”
Across the street from the #NationalGalleryOfCanada is #HeaderHouse at the northwest corner of #MajorsHillPark . It’s street address is 1223 Alexandria Bridge - this building overlooks the #OttawaRiver .
“Built in 1920, Header House is the former potting shed and the sole remaining structure of Major’s Hill Park’s greenhouse complex. It has been designated a federal heritage building. The park has always been a public space since the early days of Ottawa. It has been used year round as a public gathering place since 1874.”
“The park features the remains of the house where Colonel By lived during the building of the Rideau Canal. It also features Header House in the northern end of the park, the last remaining section of the Major’s Hill Park greenhouse complex, which was dismantled in 1937–1938.
“Nowadays, Header House is home to Tavern on the Hill, a seasonal outdoor canteen, patio and ice cream shop that offers up locally-sourced food.”
Ever wonder what demographic sees and interact with @pattisonoutdoor advertising.
Does our medium speak to your targeted demographic?
Give us a call and find out how we can get your message to your target market!