Brewing day! Beer 04, the 7 Treasures cider :D
Inspired by the traditional "Ba Bao Cha" or "8 Treasures Tea" herbal tea, this variation consists of Chrysanthemum, Jasmine, Red Dates, Longans, Ginseng, Wolfberries and Honey Rock Sugar.
As this was an original recipe, It had to be done from scratch without the help of any extracts. Definitely the most time consuming brew to date!
The 7 Treasures Cider recipe below.
Dried Chrysanthemum: 454g
Red Dates: 350g
Dried Longans: 200g
Sliced Ginseng: 37.5g
Wolfberries (Goji): Approx 200g
Honey Rock Sugar: Approx 3.4kg
1) Mix all of the Dried Chrysanthemum and Jasmine with half of the Red Dates, Dried Longans, Sliced Ginseng and Wolfberries in a large pot.
2) Add 8 to 10 litres of water and bring to boil for about 1 hour.
3) Strain the resultant liquid from the mash. The liquid forms the basis of the wort.
4) Steep the mash in boiling water to create more wort. Continue until the total volume of the wort reaches approx 22 litres.
5) Mix the remainder of the Red Dates, Dried Longans, Sliced Ginseng, Wolfberries and all the Honey Rock Sugar in a large pot.
6) Add 5 litres of wort and bring the mixture to boil. Ensure that all the Honey Rock Sugar is dissolved.
7) Combine the mixture and the rest of the wort in the fermenter.
8) Allow the wort to cool to a suitable temperature before pitching yeast.
Am truly excited to see how this turns out!