Road Trip Baking!
1) Pumpkin Muffins
2) Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
3) Vegan GF Crackers 🌿✅
- all 3 are great road trip recipes from @ohsheglows 🌿💚 These crackers are even healthier when you make little sandwiches out of them with crunchy almond butter.
Vegan GF Crackers🌿
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup while almonds ground
2 T ground flax
1 T nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
Scant 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 T sesame seeds
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp olive oil •
Preheat oven to 350 - line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Grind almond to flour
Do not overprocess and sift to remove any big pieces. •
In large bowl mix dry ingredients. Add water and oil and knead with your hands until it all comes together. Shape into a ball. •
Place ball on parchment paper and roll dough until 1/8" thick ( I used another piece of parchment paper on top to keep it from sticking while rolling )
Slice into cracker shapes with pastry wheel.
Bake at 350 F for 18-20 mins until golden in colour and crisp.
Road trip worthy and READY!! #roadtripsnacks#ohsheglows#veganshare#veganrecipes#healthysnack#veganfood#vegansofinstagram#plantbased#glutenfreecrackers#dairyfreesnacks#wholefoods#healthychoices#cholesterolfree#soyfree#healthiswealth#govegan
Why I keep a supply of Chaga Tea, considered a Superfood, in my fridge at all times and aim to have some on a regular basis. ☕️ ✅ Highest ORAC score of any superfood. ORAC is s measure of antioxidant potency and Chaga's massive amounts of natural black pigment known as melanin give it this very noteworthy distinction.
Top Six Health Benefits ••• 1) Immune System 🌿
This tea is high in Beta-D-Glucans which helps balance our body's immune response - boosting when needed or slowing it down when overactive.
Also activates immune cells responsible for fighting cancer's initiation. As well it's effective in providing support during chemotherapy's negative side effects. ••• 2) Soothing 🌿
Provides soothing support for blood vessels in times of irritation which can be helpful for those suffering from pain, neuropathy, and diabetes. ••• 3) Ulcers and Gastritis 🌿
Chaga's immune boosting properties help fight the helicopter-bacter pylori bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. ••• 4) Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Levels 🌿
Research shows that the betulinic acid found in Chaga can break down the bad LDL cholesterol as well as help stabilize blood pressure levels. ••• 5) Antimicrobial & Antioxidant Activity 🌿
Chaga has been shown to have high antioxidant, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties. In 2 recent studies on skin, Chaga mushroom showed protective support against harsh skin blemishes.
The darkness of Chaga indicates a high level of antioxidants ( substances that protect cells against the ravages of free radicals ~ molecules formed when the body breaks down food, tobacco smoke and radiation. ) Free radicals can play a role in causing heart disease, cancer and other chronic disease. ••• 6) DNA Protection 🌿
When cells are pretreated with Chaga mushroom extract then treated to induce oxidative stress, the pretreated cells displayed less DNA damage than the cells that did not receive the Chaga.
Coconut-Crusted Fishless Sticks [ Vegan ]
This recipe from @foodmonsterapp uses whole Hearts of Palm to veganize an old favourite of children by carefully tearing the whole hearts of palm into pieces that are then shaped into "fish" sticks then coated and baked.
The Dill Mayonaisse uses vegan mayo and fresh dill to make this look and taste quite a bit like the real deal ( although WAY better of course). ••• Tip: I would omit any added salt and rinse the hearts of palm really well unless you like a high salt taste. 🍃🌿
Hearts of Palm are harvested from the inner core and growing bud of certain palm trees. 🌿
1) Zinc - contains a high content of this mineral which helps heal wounds as it plays a role in cell division, and cell growth. It's needed for the body's immune system to properly work, is also necessary for the senses of smell and taste, and needed to help breakdown carbohydrates.
2) Vitamin B2 - important for red blood cell function of carrying oxygen throughout the body. Vitamin B6 - crucial mood stabilizer ( western diets are deficient in this vitamin,,, causing road rage etc!) 3) Fiber - a rich source of fiber that helps balance levels of cholesterol and glucose in the blood, helps prevent colon cancer and regulates intestinal transit.
4) Good source of iron, potassium, phosphorus, copper, vitamin C and beta-carotene.
Just added 1) Snake Plant, 2) Aloe Vera and 3) Lavender ( already have English Ivy and Spider Plant) to my collection of the 5 best air-filtering plants for the bedroom. •••
Snake Plant: 🌿🍃
Hardy and easy to care for.
Highly recommended as it removes
formaldehyde, benzene, and trichloroethelyne
Place in a light shaded to bright environment.
Avoid direct sunlight.
Best at room temperature.
Water thoroughly but do not allow it to dry out completely.
Fertilize moderately. •••
Aloe Vera: 🌿🍃
This plant not only filters the air but it's anti-inflammatory gel can be used as a topical treatment for bites, minor burns and cuts.
Alkalizes the body and supports immune system,,, great for juicing. ✅
Place in a sunny location by a window.
Water deeply but then allow the soil to dry at least 1-2 inches deep between watering in order to discourage rot.
Water even less in winter. •••
According to the florist I purchased this plant from it's not an indoor plant 😳
However with a bit of effort there are ways to get around that. Begin with the best choice for indoor growing which is French Lavender
Needs to be placed in as sunny a location as possible but not near a cold drafty window.
Water regularly allowing the top inch of soil to dry out between watering.
Getting it to bloom requires some outdoor time ( transition it to the outside over a few days to acclimate it to the change in temp ) otherwise the plant will bake and die!) Rotate the pot every few days to allow sunlight to reach all of the leaves.
Need to use a well drained potting mix.
If house air is very dry place on a pebble lined tray filled with water ( this keeps the plant up and out of the water while still providing humidity ) •••
Bedroom plants are special because they not only filter the air but release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide all night long unlike other plants that 'go to sleep' at night,,, resulting in a better night's sleep! 🌿🍃 •••
Collard Greens,,,, what is a hard to ignore reason collard greens stand out among the world's healthiest foods??!
Cancer Prevention! ✅
They provide special nutrient support for 3 body systems that are key in cancer prevention.
1) Antioxidant System
2) Detoxification System
3) Anti-inflammatory System
Chronic imbalance in any of these 3 systems can increase cancer risk. When all 3 are compromised then the risk is significantly higher.
Prevention of bladder, breast, colon, lung, prostate, and ovarian cancers are all closely associated with the intake of collard greens.
How to Freeze Collard Greens🌿
1) Rinse well, remove the central spine. 🌱
2) Place in a pot with 5 quarts of boiling water. Once water returns to a rapid boil then set timer for 3-4 mins. 🌱
3) Remove with slotted spoon and plunge into a large container of ice water for 3-4 mins ( half fill a large bowl with ice cubes then fill with water) 🌱
4) Drain well and place on a parchment paper lined tray in the freezer. Have pieces positioned so that they're not touching. Once frozen, place in freezer bags to store for up to a year. 🌱
No need to thaw when using in recipes or smoothies. •••
Greens remain one of the most important vegetables to have on a daily basis for many reasons. Cancer prevention is surely an outstanding reason that collard greens need to be on your plate often!
A LOT of ingredients go into creating a good 'make it nutritious' veggie burger, especially this Lentil burger. 💚
Lentils are high in folic acid, a B vitamin. Dopamine synthesis relies on B vitamins. ✅
1 cup lentils ( any kind except red lentils)
2 cups water
1 Bay leaf
1/2 cup onions
2 large garlic cloves
1 T minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup red bell pepper ( missing from the photo)
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup minced fresh basil or parsley
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Juice of one lemon
1) Toast sunflower seeds on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet @275F for 25 mins
2) Soak lentils in hot water for 2 hrs, drain and rinse. Place in 4 qt pot with 2 cups of water and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 mins. Remove lid, increase heat to medium stirring occasionally until remaining liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender. Mash, leaving some lentils whole.
3) Chop onions, garlic, carrots, bell pepper and grate ginger.
4) Sauté onions, garlic and ginger for 5 mins. Add spices and stir another 2 mins. Remove from heat.
5) Place oats, seeds, cooked lentils, veggies and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl then add the sautéed onions, garlic, and ginger.
6) Add nutritional yeast and basil or parsley.
7) Stir to make a stiff mixture ( add more oats if not stiff enough)
8) Add juice of 1 lemon and let stand 1/2 hr to bind before shaping into patties.
9) Fry 10 mins on each side, or bake in the oven @375F for 15 mins then turn and bake another 10 mins until crispy.
Freezes very well. •••
"Eating pungent radish and drinking hot tea, let the starved doctors beg on their knees." Ancient Chinese Proverb 🌿🍃🌱
,,,,lets update that and include 'plant-based diet' as the reason doctors will become short of patients! •••
I have prepped radish seeds for planting by soaking overnight and drained on a paper towel.
Health Benefits of Radishes •••
1) Fights Cancer: The sharp, pungent flavour of radishes comes from isothiocyanate, an antioxidant compound called sulforaphane which has been proven to play a role in fighting prostate, breast, colon, and ovarian cancers by its cancer-cell growth inhibition and cytotoxic effects on cancer cells. •••
2) Skin Health: Contains a good amount of vitamin- C, an antioxidant required for synthesis of collagen. Along with vitamin C, its B-vitamins (B6, riboflavin, thiamin and folate), zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, calcium and phosphorous, as well as its antibacterial properties,,,, all help the skin to heal. •••
3) Heart Health: Contains anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid that's also found in red cabbage and blueberries - providing anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the risk of heart disease. •••
4) Osteoarthritis: Again it's vitamin C content plays a crucial role in helping to limit the damage caused to cartilage by free radicals. Radishes are some of the top vitamin C foods with a serving meeting 29% of the daily requirement. •••
5) pH Balance: an alkaline forming food that helps keep pH balance in check. •••
6) Detoxification Properties: Phytochemicals like indoles are found only in cruciferous vegetables. Indoles are strong antioxidants, protecting the DNA and other cell structures by stimulating the production of detoxifying enzymes which protect against the carcinogenic effects of pesticides and other toxins ( black radishes and radish leaves are known to do the best job at detoxification ). Pretty good reasons to make sure a cruciferous vegetable is on your dinner plate every day. 🌿🍃✅
'Magical Chia Seed Strawberry Jam'🍓
Easiest jam recipe EVER!
There is no refined sugar, artificial colouring or flavouring when you make your own jams from @ohsheglows recipes. •••
Here's a short summary of Angela's Recipe: 🍓
3 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
3 - 4 T Maple Syrup or other sweetener ( I used Date Syrup )
2 T chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla ,,, in the recipe but I find it's better without, so omitted it.
Bring berries and sweetener to a boil, simmer 5 mins, then stir in the chia seeds and continue cooking on medium-low for another 15 mins. Done ✅
Keeps in fridge 1-2 weeks and also freezes well. The chia seeds thicken it and provide an omega 3 boost. It will get thicker the longer it cools.
So easy ✅ •••