Finished product! French Onion Soup (recipe!) adapted from America's Test Kitchen .
6 pounds sliced onions
5 TBS butter
4 cups water
4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
5 cups beef broth (low sodium)
3/4 cup dry sherry
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt & pepper
Gruyère or provolone
- preheat oven to 400°
- spray large pot or dutch oven with cooking spray.
- slice butter and place in pot, place onions on top and sprinkle with 1 & 1/2 tsp salt.
- cover pot and put in oven for 1 hour
- remove pot, stir onions, place lid slightly ajar and return to oven for 1 hour & 45 mins, stirring half way through.
- remove pot from oven and put on stove on med-high heat. Cook until water is evaporated and onions begin to brown, stirring frequently.
- once liquid is evaporated, a fond (brown crust) should start to form on the bottom of the pot. Continue cooking and stirring until the bottom is almost covered with fond, but not burnt.
- use 1/4 cup water to deglaze the fond from the bottom of the pot, stirring and scraping all the brown bits back into the onions.
- repeat the process of building a fond and deglazing 2-3 more times, until onions are a deep, dark brown color.
- add in broths, sherry, water, bay leaves, thyme, salt & pepper to taste.
- bring soup to a boil over high heat, reduce to low, cover and simmer for 30 mins.
- before serving, ladle soup into oven safe crocks, place a slice of baguette on top of soup and then cover with cheese.
- broil crocks for approx. 5 mins, until browned and bubbling.
- it's a long recipe and takes approx. 4 hours, but it's worth it!!!