@jasonintravaia is fabulous for many reasons. His attitude, his dedication to his craft and his people, and his attention to detail. Not only does he "do the little things" like banded strength work after the day's run/weights session...he takes constructive feedback about asymmetries in his mechanics, like a boss. Check out the external rotation going on in his left hip/pelvis as he attempts resisted hip extension. All that excess motion in the transverse plane with each step is wasted energy and places strain on the anterior fibers of the glute med, TFL and adductors as they try to compensate. So much easier to see these things when we slow down and do simple resisted moment and sometimes the correction is as easy as the athlete bringing awareness to it and grooving a better pattern.
I've pretty much discovered it's impossible to give running-through-pregnancy tips or advice, even as a coach and healthcare professional. I'm sure you can guess why: because everyone is d i f f e r e n t . But I can tell you some things I've learned/reaffirmed in these last 32 weeks:
1. Listening to your body trumps all. For me right now that means taking walk breaks when I need them. For you normal running humans that might mean not running through that foot pain that's been nagging for the past week....but this message never goes out of style.
2. Strength and mobility matters. Whether in the thick of pregnancy or the heart of a tough training block, it's easy to neglect the "little things". Since trying to get back to doing more foam rolling, stretching, core and strengthening I have to say my body actually feels BETTER on my runs even though I'm getting heavier!
3. Massage and chiropractic keep me in the game. Now more than ever I am hyper-aware of when I've gone too long without these.
4. Setting goals and telling people about them is always relevant. I may not be striving for any 5k or half marathon PRs (at the moment😉) but I know I'm much more likely to get out the door if I have a goal. I tell my husband that I'm trying to run 25min 3 times this week, you tell your training partner you're aiming to complete your weekly mileage goal and stretch after every run. Either way...accountability wins the day.
5. Comparison is no bueno. Whether you struggle more with comparing yourself to others or to yesterday's version of yourself, it's not going to help you. Take what's given to YOU today and work with it without overthinking.
6. Running is freedom. For the mind, body and soul. Don't idolize it, don't abuse it, and certainly don't take it for granted. Because no matter the pace or how many times you have to stop because baby moved and is giving you an ab cramp (👍) my (and hopefully your) quality of life is always improved because we have these legs that can take us anywhere we want to go.
annnnnnd we have our first addition to the @thornberrysportstherapy Wall of Fame! I love seeing patients, each one a valuable part of our little community, going on to live the life of a collegiate student-athlete. Y'all make me proud and you are the reason I love what I do! Stay tuned for more upcoming additions. 😉
It's a new year and @ntrecovery is ready for YOU at @thornberrysportstherapy . Go to my website to purchase packages and call or text to set up a session! Time to get that recovery edge this training season. We are here to help!
P.S. It feels sooooo wonderful on your tired legs😎
Excited to announce that we are adding NormaTec Recovery compression therapy to our services in January!! Another tool to assist you in the recovery aspect of your training. If you've never used these, you're in for a real treat. You may not be a pro athlete but we can help you feel like one 😊💪🏼 If you need a last-minute gift idea for someone (or just treat yo'self!!) gift cards are available NOW for single sessions and 5 or 10-session packages. Just click the link in my profile to purchase. Call or text to book your session(s) starting January 2nd.
@ctm.band over in the Oakland Raiders training room. I'll be happy to show you some of its uses at your next appointment. Get in before the holidays get too busy! (This would make a great last-minute gift, too!)
#Repost @kyleprusso (@get_repost)
Treating myself with my new @ctm.band because sometimes I get injured too. CTM Band combines Compression, tension and movement to help treat common MSK injuries. Check out @thornberrysportstherapy for details.
So excited for the arrival of the new @ctm.band from my colleague Dr. Kyle Bowling! Dr. Bowling is a sports chiropractor, a coach, and a former Division I distance runner. Translation: he knows the runner's body! His knowledge and experience has led him to create this great recovery tool that combines Compression, Tension AND Movement. I won't try to explain its uses...I'll leave that to him - just head over to the insta page and find out for yourself. But I'm so excited to use it with all you people next time you're in the clinic!
Baby food! This is my customized prenatal supplement lineup to provide my body and baby with all of the vital nutrients during the increased physical (*and emotional*!) demands of pregnancy. I aim to get most of my nutrients through the food that I eat and these help fill in the gaps where I am not perfect. I rest better knowing that even on the off-day when I'm running around and my meals are less-than-optimal that we are both still getting what we need. The best part about using @standardprocess is that the ingredients are whole-food and organic and easy to ingest (even chewable versions of some things!) Dosages in this lineup will vary in later stages of pregnancy and even post-partum. Some things will get added and some no longer necessary. As needs change, so shall the supplement! I love the flexibility of it. If you or someone you know wants nutritional advice and/or are interested in incorporating @standardprocess into your routine, I would love to help.
All you have to do is ask!
Embrace the RESISTANCE! Try incorporating these simple moves with a resistance band into your strength routine. -squat with front resistance -squat with back resistance -side lunge with knee drive -deep side lunge with floor tap (not pictured)
Get 3 rounds of 10 in before that turkey tomorrow. And good luck to all of our turkey trotters!
Cross country is great because it's the perfect combination of an individual and team sport....and this team is going to State! So proud of these ladies. They work so hard and care so much about each other.
Congrats to @mvhs_track_field and @granadaxc, too. Fierce EBAL presence in Fresno next weekend💪🏼🏃🏼♀️🙌🏼
#Division2#wrongflag @milesplitca @dyestatcal #runxc#crosscountry
Running-through-pregnancy tip: try using @rocktape to provide additional arch support for your feet. I've found this to be extremely helpful as my pregnancy has progressed....often making the difference in a good run or a miserable one. Increased estrogen and relaxin hormone levels (the ones needed to relax the joints in the pelvis for birth!) can also loosen the ligaments in the foot. This combined with a change in stride/foot strike due to weight gain can cause foot and arch pain. Since I don't experience this every run, I find that this simple tape application provides the right amount of support for my feet on symptomatic days. Share this with a runner mama-to-be and/or call to book an appointment if you'd like to see how @rocktape can help you with your aches and pains.
So so proud of and happy for these two @mvhs_track_field mustangs soon-to-be @ucsdxc tritons. I have loved being a part of your journey and @thornberrysportstherapy wishes you all the best in your collegiate running career!