Now that we're home from Glasgow and back to reality (and work today) we decided to make a curry with what was left in the fridge and cupboards. It really helped console our Glasgow blues!
Here's the recipe: 🌿3 cloves garlic (crushed)
🌿1 red onion 🌿1 red chilli
🌿2 tsp coriander 🌿1 tsp cumin 🌿1 tsp turmeric 🌿1 tsp ground ginger 🌿sprinkle of chilli flakes (go as spicy as you like)
🌿1 tin coconut milk
🌿1 tin chopped tomatoes 🌿150g cauliflower 🌿250g button mushrooms 🌿1 tin of chickpeas 🌿6 tbsp lentils 🌿salt to taste 🌿1 tsp coconut oil •
🌿Fry the onion, garlic and chilli for a few minutes until fragrant 🌿Add all the spices and fry for a little longer 🌿Add the mushrooms fry for a couple more minutes 🌿Add the coconut milk, tomatoes and lentils 🌿Season to taste 🌿Simmer for 20 minutes while you also cook some rice
🌿Add the cauliflower and chickpeas and cook for a further 10 mins, and then it's done - perfect Tuesday night curry! Serves 3 (or 2 if you're like us with a little bit left to snack on tomorrow) Enjoy 👊🌿❤️
We're back in England now and two things are missing: jolly Scottish people (you're all so nice!) and the #vegan treats we've been spoilt with! We went to @the78cafebar yesterday, hoping for one of their famous mushroom wellington roasts, but it turns out they're a little too famous and hungry Glasweigans had gobbled them all up before we got there 😢 We didn't go hungry though - we were treated to some incredible nachos and houmous/flat bread 💚 The nachos were absolutely dreamy and came loaded with bean chilli, salsa, vegan sour cream and jalepenos! We'll be back for that roast sometime in the future though...
When we heard that @roseandgrants in #Glasgow had created a #vegan version of the Scottish classic, square sausage, we knew we had to go! We love trying dishes that are important to other countries, so when some beautiful person creates a vegan version we make a beeline there. It was worth it - this photo was from our first morning in Glasgow, and we're back here again now for our last Scottish breakfast...if you're ever here, don't miss it 💚
Today we're celebrating our first wedding anniversary and it's been awesome thinking back to what we were doing this time last year - we put together a completely #vegan punk rock festival wedding (we dubbed #tietheknotfestival ) all powered by renewable energy and the bar was provided by Forest Green Rovers, the world's first and only vegan football club! It was an amazing day - the least traditional wedding you could imagine but it was right up our street and all of our friends and family loved it. The vegan food was amazing and no one seemed to miss meat or dairy so if you're planning a wedding our advice is to do it your way - we had Thai food for the "wedding breakfast" and burritos in the evening! We'll get back to posting food and recipes now...🙌🥂🎉❤️
Does anyone else plan their holidays around the best places to eat or is it just us? We went to the @flyingduckparty last night and, without exaggerating, we both agreed that their burgers are the best we've had in our whole entire lives. We had the 'Zero to Hero' which was a #vegan bacon double cheese and also the 'Seitan Worshipper' which was a beef style burger topped with chilli and jalepenos...we may have to visit again before the end of our trip! We finished the night by playing Boggle - one of the many board games they have on offer! Does anyone have any other recommendations for where we should go for food? We're thinking of heading to @kimchicult for lunch 🌿😍🙌👊💕
Who's looking forward to the weekend? We are! It's our first wedding anniversary this weekend so we're heading to Glasgow to take in the sights, shop and celebrate 🍾🥂🍾 We're also going to check out ALL OF THE VEGAN FOOD! And we're really excited about it. This roast was a takeaway we got from No.23 (a restaurant around the corner from us) last weekend - it was a #vegan lentil, rice and butternut squash roast with all the trimmings. We're hoping to find one that's just as good this Sunday in Glasgow. Anyone have any recommendations? We heard @the78cafebar is good! ☺️🌿💕❤️
This isn't what we had for breakfast today because we were out late last night at a gig (Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band) so opted for toast because it was the quickest option and we got back too late to prepare the overnight oats! We would've preferred this chocolatey goodness though! Here's the recipe:
🌿 1/2 cup oats
🌿 1/8 cup chia seeds
🌿 1 cup hazelnut milk
🌿 1 tsp cacao powder
🌿 1 tsp maple syrup
🌿 1/2 banana (or a whole one if you'd prefer)
🌿 chopped almonds (as many as you'd like really)
🌿 a few raisins
🌿 1 tbsp cacao nibs
🌿 The night before you're going to want them for breakfast, mix together the oats, chia seeds and hazelnut milk in a jar/container and leave in the fridge overnight
🌿 In the morning, add the maple and cacao powder and stir up really well
🌿 chop the banana into slices and layer on top of the oat mixture
🌿 sprinkle on the almonds, raisins and cacao nibs
Perfect chocolately breakfast - kind of reminds us of a Nutella flavour because of the hazelnut milk 😍 @lissy_looby_ we thought you might like this one! 💕
This is a great summery recipe! Avocado-cashew pesto with courgette and carrot. We've heard there's a big harvest of courgettes this year for #NationalAllotmentWeek - this is a great way to get them used up!
Here's the recipe:
🌿150g penne pasta
🌿Juice of 1 lemon
🌿4 tbsp olive oil
🌿2 tsp nooch
🌿3 cloves garlic
🌿2 x courgettes spiralized
🌿2 x carrots spiralized
🌿Blend up everything apart from the pasta, courgette and carrots in a blender until creamy
🌿Cook pasta according to instructions on the packet
🌿Add pesto to the pasta along with the spiralized carrots and courgettes
🌿 Best served with vegan parmesan or extra blended up cashews!
Who says vegans just eat kale? Our #vegan mac and cheeze is indulgent and delicious...though we did chuck some kale on top, we didn't want to ruin the stereotype too much 😉
• Serves 4 with a side of veg!
• 🌿 Large butternut squash (750g-1kg) 🌿 1/2 tin coconut milk 🌿 180g kale 🌿 250g macaroni 🌿 5 tbsp nooch 🌿 1 tsp Dijon mustard 🌿 1/2 tsp garlic powder 🌿 1 tsp apple cider vinegar 🌿 1 stock cube...
• Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 6/200c. Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and put face down in a pan with 250ml water and chuck in the oven for an hour whilst you go and watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones, or whatever it is you're into right now. Once the squash is done, take out of the oven and leave the oven on for the kale. Scoop the flesh of the squash into a blender, add the coconut milk and blend until it's smooth. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, then add the nooch, mustard, garlic powder, vinegar and stock cube, and simmer for 15 until it has thickened up a bit. In the meantime sort the macaroni and the kale...
• Maraconi: cook as per the instructions on the packet.
• Kale: toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt and chuck in a pan in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
• Once everything is done, stick the macaroni into the cheeze sauce, stir it all together and continue heating for a few minutes whilst the kale finishes. Serve it up with the kale on top. We added a side of broccoli and some cashew parmesan for good measure 💚
We made #risotto last night! It was creamy, herby and delicious. It went down a treat!
Mushrooms, peas and broccoli, lots of coconut and some rich pine nut cream and cashew parmesan to finish it off 😍
We had a request from @cinnavonbun for the recipe, and here it is - enjoy! 👊 • Serves 6 (or 4 if you just can't stop!)...
• Risotto: 🌿 5 cloves garlic 🌿 4 teaspoons thyme 🌿 4 teaspoons oregano 🌿 2 teaspoons cumin 🌿 500 chestnut mushrooms 🌿 400ml coconut milk 🌿 500g risotto rice 🌿 2 limes 🌿 200g frozen peas 🌿 300g broccoli - fry off the garlic, herbs, cumin and mushrooms in some coconut oil for a few minutes. Add 700ml boiling water, 400ml of coconut milk, lime juice, the rice and then season with salt and pepper. Crank it up to a boil and then bring back to simmer for around 40mins (give it a few stirs throughout). After that, the rice should almost be cooked, so add another 400ml coconut milk and the peas, then continue simmering for 20mins until the rice is fully cooked and the liquid has cooked off (crank it up a bit if it's looking a bit runny).
• Cream: 🌿 2 cloves garlic 🌿 100g pine nuts 🌿 75ml olive oil 🌿 25ml water 🌿 25g fresh basil or thyme - wizz it all up in a blender and mix into the risotto right at the end!
• Parmesan: 🌿 2 tbsp nooch 🌿 1/2 cup cashews 🌿 1/2 tsp garlic powder - wizz this up too and serve on the risotto!
It's Jess' birthday today, so I (Dan) thought I'd treat her to a delicious #vegan breakfast before we headed out for the day - I went with my special huevos rancheros, featuring scrambled tofu!
• Serves one birthday girl and her chef!
• 400g chestnut mushrooms 🌿 3 cloves garlic 🌿 1 red onion 🌿 1 tin tomatoes 🌿 1 tbsp tomato puree 🌿 1 red pepper 🌿 1/2 lime 🌿 1 tsp ancho chilli powder 🌿 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder 🌿 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (it's fairly spicy so tone down if you need to) - slice the mushrooms and finely dice the garlic, onion and pepper. Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil until soft, add the pepper, mushrooms, puree and spices and stir for 5mins or so and the mushrooms have softened a bit. Add the tinned tomatoes, lime juice, a pinch of salt and leave simmering for 10mins, in the meantime do the scrambled tofu...
• 1 block firm silken tofu 🌿 1/2 tsp kala namak salt 🌿1 tbsp nooch 🌿 1/2 tsp turmeric - chuck it all in a pan and smash the tofu up while heating to get a nice consistency 👊
• Serve it all up on some tortillas, add some avocado and get stuck in! Optional hot sauce for the spice lovers out there 🔥
We ❤️thali! Two types of curry - the small one is coconut based and the orange one is lentils and veggies with a good level of spice, which we always like! We loved the sambar sauce too - it was like being in #malaysia again! Can we go back? Thanks #madrascafe at #WOMAD2017 💚
@oheiklin & @1grinningdonkey & @flyry214 here's our vegan kebab recipe for you guys and anyone else who may be interested! Happy Sunday 💚
We made this badass #vegan doner meat and it was rockin' 🤤 Served up in a wrap with some red cabbage, red pepper, carrot, garlic mayo and some spicy Nuff Love nectar from @tubbytoms 💚
• Doner recipe:
• 1x small onion 🌿 1x small sweet potato or 2x carrot 🌿 500ml stock 🌿 2x cloves garlic 🌿 1x tsp chopped coriander leaves 🌿 1x tsp salt 🌿 1x tsp black pepper 🌿 1x tsp dried chili flakes 🌿 1x tsp ground coriander 🌿 1x tsp ground cumin 🌿 ½x tsp cumin seeds 🌿 1x tsp mixed dried herbs 🌿 ½x tsp nutmeg 🌿 1x tbsp oil (we use coconut) 🌿 1½ x cups wheat gluten
• Chop the sweet potato into chunks and half the onion, then put in a pan and simmer in the stock until tender. Put everything except the vital wheat gluten into a blender and blend until smooth. Put the vital wheat gluten into and the blended ingredients into a bowl and mix until you have a dough, then knead for 5-10 minutes. Roll into a thick sausage and steam for 1 hour in foil, cool and then shave/slice the loaf. Warm in a pan when ready to serve…or just slice up straight after steaming if you’re impatient like us 😉
Perfect Saturday #brunch at @greenhousedeptford. Bit of a Mediterranean feel with delicious roasted veggies, lovely houmous and perfectly ripe avocado. The potato yiachni was our particular favourite and a new dish to us. We even had a vanilla oat milk iced latte and then stayed longer because of the rain 🌧️ and warmed up with hot lemon 🍋 & ginger infusion! We felt even better eating at this quaint café because the had a little note that on their chalkboard that said they were #PoweredbyEcotricity @ecotricity 💚
#Throwback to when we made this #vegan donor kebab! Has anyone else ever made them? We can re-post the the recipe if anyone would like it! We're on our way to #London now to watch live #punk music all weekend and eat vegan food in between! 🙌🤘💚